When the weather cools down, our bodies start to crave warm hearty meals, and what better way to satisfy a craving than with a slow cooked meal!
Slow cooking is not only time saving and fuss-free, but it's also a healthier and budget friendly way to cook. Although they usually have longer cooking times, slow cooked meals are easy to prepare and you can literally 'set & forget' and let your delicious meal simmer away.
The New Morphy Richards 'Sear & Stew' Slow Cooker has the added benefit of allowing you to sear your food on the hob first - which means less clean up!
Once you have seared your food, place the searing pot back into the slow cooker, turn it on, and let the magic happen!
Keen to get slow cooking? Here's a recipe to get you started.
Hearty Beef Stew
1kg beef, cubed
700g potatoes, cubed
700g carrots, sliced
3 large leeks, sliced
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.5L beef stock
3 tbsp cornflour
3tsp mixed herbs
Handful mixed mushrooms
Salt & pepper to taste
- In the cooking pot, fry the onions and garlic on the hob until softened, then add the meat and continue to fry until the meat is seared.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and leeks.
- Blend the stock with the mixed herbs and add to the cooking pot. Season to taste.
- Transfer the cooking pot back into the base of the slow cooker.
- Cover with the glass lid and cook for approximately 4-6 hours on the medium setting.
- Before serving, thicken the sauce with cornflour. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water until a smooth paste is achieved. Mix this into a cup of the hot liquid taken from the cooking pot, when fully mixed into the liquid add this back into the rest of the ingredients and stir well until the cornflour is evenly distributed. Add the mixed mushrooms at this point. This can be completed 30 minutes from the end of cooking time.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.
For more recipes, visit our Pinterest page.